Is there a way to tell apt (dselect) you have certain packages installed? If so, it
would make
sense to just trash the Debian perl install and install it all from source. I agree
with your
Perl guru -- roll your own is the best way to go. I just don't have the time. I still
install
some packages (webmin, usermin, squirrelmail) myself, because other packages are not
dependant
on them. But I have no idea how to tell apt that, yes, I already have Perl installed
so you
don't have to mess with it.

>From the log you sent, looks like the cwd disappeared out from under you, so of
>course it
could not get the parents or anything. What dir were you in when you executed it? Did
the
directory /root/.cpan exist? I had problems, but those were not the ones I had.

Rod

> On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 16:14, Rod Rodolico wrote:
>> You could install the CPAN module on your current system, then use it to update
>> Perl.
>>
>> CAVEAT: CPAN and Debian have, in the past, placed Perl in two separate locations.
>> When I did
>> this before, I did have a problem configuring Perl correctly afterwards. It (CPAN)
>> is mainly
>> designed, from what I saw, to update a Standard perl installation, standard being
>> whatever
>> CPAN (the organization) says it is (which is pretty standard).
>>
>> Other than that, I don't know. Look at http://cpan.org/ports/index.html for one
>> thing. But,
>> I'm not sure if any of these will break a Debian install.
>>
>> Rod
>>

> Thanks Rod. I tried that awhile ago today and it puked.
>
> shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access
> parent directories: No such file or directory
>         Everything is up to date. Type '/usr/bin/make test' to run test
> suite.
>   /usr/bin/make  -- OK
> Running make test
> Couldn't chdir to /root/.cpan/build/perl-5.8.1 at
> /usr/share/perl/5.6.1/CPAN.pm line 5480
>
> I have a friend is one the best perl guys around so I'll ask him
> about it, but he doesn't like Debian and rolls his own distro.
>
> Dee
>

> --

Missiles of ligneous or osteal consistency have the potential of fracturing osseous
structure,
but appellations will eternally remain innocuous.