I was wondering if someone knew how to avoid system.map mismatch errors
when building 2 or more kernels from the same version.

Could someone look at my inserted the lilo.conf and file names and tell me if
I have some type of formatting error ?

The kernel documention recommends that SMP users compile
2 kernels. The documentation recommends that one contains SMP support
while the other should be in-case SMP does not work with the hardware.

Reference from $my-kernel/Documentation/smp.txt:
        If you are using LILO, it is handy to have both SMP and non-SMP
        kernel images on hand. Edit /etc/lilo.conf to create an entry
        for another kernel image called "linux-smp" or something.

Like the SMP recommendation, when I compile new stuff in I build a kernel
without the extra modules, just in-case. For example, I have an xfs-kernel and a non
xfs
kernel.

The last time I built 2 kernels of the same version I got system map mismatch errors
after running system commands like ps.

Is there something wrong with the file format I am using for my kernel ?

My /etc/lilo.conf looks like this:

lba32
boot=/dev/sda1
root=/dev/sda5
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
timeout=100
delay=100
prompt
vga=normal
default=Linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-xfs2
      label=Linux
      read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19
        label=failsafe
        read-only

My files boot partition looks for this 2.4.19 kernel looks like this:

/boot/vmlinux-2.4.19
/boot/System.map-2.4.19

/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-xfs
/boot/System.map-2.4.19-xfs