On Jul 26, 2004, at 7:56 PM, Brian Nelson wrote:

Jeremy Zawodny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

On Jul 26, 2004, at 6:21 PM, Shannon R. wrote:

hello list!

i'll be moving from a RedHat server to a Debian server very soon. despite the different linux distributions, is it ok to transfer my entire mysql database by just copying everything in /var/lib/mysql of the RedHat system to the Debian system?

Assuming the directory structures are similar and you're using only MyISAM tables, yes. With InnoDB, you'd have to deal with the logs as well.

Surely using mysqldump(1) would be safer, especially if the MySQL versions are different.

Well, either way you're copying a bunch of bits from server A to server B. I'm not sure how the actual data format matters. Copying the raw data will be more efficient.

Jeremy

-- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]