On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 10:09:53PM -0600, elyograg wrote:
> >  I have a IP block working on my server. how do I add a new IP block?
> >  For example 192.200.234.128 with  net mask 255.255.255.192 (what gives me
> >  192.200.234.129-190)
> >
> >  and I whant  to add a second IP range 192.200.234.192 with  net mask
> >  255.255.255.192
> >
> >  I put it in the named.conf, and create a .IN-ADDR.ARPA) but it seams I
> >  forgot something.
>
> I was thinking about this recently, and here's what I reasoned (but have
> never put to the test).  Due to the way that reverse DNS works, what would
> have to happen is whatever body gave you the address space would have to
> actually create an entry in their server for each address - yes, 62
> entries, that delegates DNS for those addresses to your DNS server.  Either
> that or they just have to provide the reverse DNS for you.
>
> As for how to handle secondary DNS, I'm still scratching my head trying to
> work that one out.
>
> If I'm completely mistaken, I'd love to be corrected (but not flamed :).

Reverse DNS will be provided by the organization that delegated the subnet.
The x.in-addr.arpa resolution is directed to whoever obtained the block.
If reverse DNS for a particular block should point elsewhere, it's a pain.
It's simpler to inform your ISP (or whoever) of the PTR entries desired
for reverse resolution.

Forward resolution can be easily pointed at any machine you wish, which you
specify when registering a domain.  Your ISP (or whoever) should be able to
pull zone transfers from your DNS server if you wish to have them provide
secondary lookup services.  If this is not available, check out:
http://www.granitecanyon.com .

If you are referring on how to join two IPv4 subnets into a single network,
You have a few options:

1. You can multihome a Linux box and turn it into a router by adding:
->     echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward     <-
...to your /etc/init.d/network to have it toss the packets for you.  Your
ISP (or whoever) will need to setup the routing at their end to reflect this.

2. Change your subnet mask and adjust the upstream router to reflect the
larger subnet.  You are using contiguous networks, so this shouldn't be a
problem.

Maybe I'm not understanding your question.  It wasn't too clear what exactly
you were trying to do.

--
Kevin Blackham                                               801-539-0852
XMission Internet                                            877-XMISSION