e.g. a simple block of the word "sex" will block all sites referring to
the English counties "Sussex" and "Essex" and so on - which would be
extremely annoying for a student doing a research project on history or
geography of England.

it would also block sex-education sites and information about safe sex
and many other legitimate health/medical sites.

there are many other words which contain the letters "s", "e", and "x"
which would also be blocked.

And I got bitten by this a few days ago when I discovered that work had blocked all domain names with the word 'sex' in them. This was funny until I tried to visit 'www.ExpertsExchange.com' - an online tech community. The proxy blocked me because it thought I was going to 'www.expertSEXchange.com'. I then checked to see if I could get to ten.com (porn site). Yup, not a problem.

I'm sure most people around here have a similar story. Censorware isn't just useless, it's often an impediment.