On 2/1/02 at 4:25 PM Tim Quinlan wrote:

>> kernel, etc... and as we all know, jumping from "stable" to "unstable"
>is
>> problem-prone and doesn't worth flawlessly every time.
>
>Why jump all the way to unstable, why not use testing?  Testing is
>usually stable enough for most applications plus the various software
>packages are pretty up to date.

In my experience unstable is pretty damn stable as well.  I upgraded a couple
of boxen from stable to unstable a little over a year ago and haven't been bit
by any of the big bugs.  I just check the mailing lists and debian planet to
see if anything big has popped up before doing an apt-get update && apt-get
upgrade.  Obviously these aren't servers.

I think the only problem with debian is the naming.  Changing nothing but the
name from "unstable" to "cutting edge" or something and there wouldn't be close
to the outcry about how 'behind' debian is.  IMHO.