We have the Etinc bandwidth manager machine running on FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE.

Although it is not Debian, it seems pretty good turnkey device to limit the p2p
stuff. We purchased it as turnkey machine.  It functions primarily use as
bandwidth
shapper. I am also using it as a firewall.

It sits between our core Cisco router and our Cisco
Catalyst [5500] Switch. We have 9MB feed and the bsd box doesn't work at all.

I setup the rules to rate limit on global scale
limiting p2p traffic across the network. It works good as a global
traffic management device.

After setting it up, we had lower latency rates, and greater
transfer rates across the board for traditional applications
[mail,webstuff,terminal access].

However, since logging can over burden the internal MYSQL server, if
someone tries to manage every IP trouble will occur.

I almost killed the bandwdith manger once when I setup rules to manage ever one
of our 3000 ip addresses. ;-)

I do not know of any good devices that can micro manage traffic.

Even the packetter is junk from my user prospective. My home provider ly.net
uses a Packetter to manage my wireless traffic and the traffic is
consistently laggy, which prevents me from playing online games. :-(

Just as a side note I think the bwmgr does an ok job as a firewall, but
ipf or iptables would be better.

For people not familiar with the turnkey bandwidth manager it is
composed of both open source software and the 'bwmgr' application.

    mysql database -- used for holding rules
                      stores firewall rejects and passes
                      stroes bandwidth consumption over time

    webadmin interface
                   -- used for creating rules and managing the
                   device

    bwmgr   (ETNIC's propietary bandwitdth shapper)
                  --actuall thingy doing bandwidth shapping and firewall
                  stuff.

--
            -\ - /-