--Friday, May 21, 2004 01:23:52 +1000 Russell Coker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[...]
> My idea was to have a
> cron job watch the FTP logs to launch rsync.  That way rsync would only try
> to copy the files that were most recently updated.  There would be a daily
> rsync cron job to cover for any problems in launching rsync from ftpd.

Maybe check the pureFTPd option to launch a programm after every ftp upload.
I could imagine some sort of counter instead of fixed times to launch rsync.
http://www.pureftpd.org/

> With local disks you get much more bandwidth (even a Gig-E link can't compare
> with a local disk), better reliability, and you can use the kernel-httpd if
> you need even better performance for static content.  Finally such a design
> allows you to have a virtually unlimited number of web servers.

Since pure static content is becoming quite rare these days: Do you have any
figures on how many virtual webservers one could run with a single apache
master process?  I've stumbled across some more or less tight limits when it
comes to individual logfiles but the exact limits were not quite clear...

Cheers, Marcel