     From: Ian A Murdock ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
     Date: August 16, 1993 6:09:59 PST
     Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development
     Subject: New release under development; suggestions requested

     Fellow Linuxers,

     This is just to announce the imminent completion of a brand-new
     Linux release, which I'm calling the Debian Linux Release. This is
     a release that I have put together basically from scratch; in other
     words, I didn't simply make some changes to SLS and call it a new
     release. I was inspired to put together this release after running
     SLS and generally being dissatisfied with much of it, and after
     much altering of SLS I decided that it would be easier to start
     from scratch. The base system is now virtually complete (though I'm
     still looking around to make sure that I grabbed the most recent
     sources for everything), and I'd like to get some feedback before I
     add the "fancy" stuff.

     (Full post available here.)

     When I posted this message a decade ago, Linux was in use by maybe
     a few tens of thousands of people around the world, and most of
     those people were either running their own homebrew Linux system or
     Peter MacDonald's SLS, the Softlanding Linux System. Red Hat
     Software was but a twinkle in Marc Ewing's eye.

     I had been using Linux for several months, since January of 1993.
     Not long after, I was hooked. Like most other early Linux
     enthusiasts, what hooked me was not Linux itself, but rather the
     community that had formed around it.

     It's difficult to remember, because open source and open
     development projects are commonplace now, but in 1993, what I saw
     happening seemed completely illogical. How could people without any
     master plan, from different parts of the world, speaking different
     languages and not getting paid, come together to build something as
     complex as an operating system? The fascinating thing was that
     it worked.

     [...]

A volte la verita' fa ... male .... :-)

Au Revoir
Hugh Hartmann

--
 ... Linux, Windows Xp ed MS-DOS
     (anche conosciuti come il Bello, il Brutto ed il Cattivo).

--
Per REVOCARE l'iscrizione alla lista, inviare un email a