Christopher Cobb wrote:

> Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> >
> > Certainly a silly question for this list: Do you think Java is currently
> > a viable platform for cross-platform, shrink-wrap GUI applications ?
> > I.e. if you had a proprietary consumer application for Windows and MacOS,
> > and you were looking for a strategy that also worked for Linux, would
> > you consider re-implementing the application in Java, or would you stick
> > with conventional tools like a cross-platform toolkit (like wxWindows or Qt),
> > a Wine/Winelib solution, or a single toolkit for each platform.
> >
> > Apart from our (Debian's) license problems with Java, I have the impression
> > that the big other distributions don't really support a Java Runtime
> > Environment, cf. the way they support GNOME or KDE applications.
> >
> > If somebody point me to discussions of the state of art of Java on Linux,
> > I'd be really glad!
> >
> >     Gregor
>
> I think Java Web Start (http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/)
> makes Java
> a very powerful cross-platform deployment strategy.  I have it working
> on my
> Debian box at this moment.
>
> cc
>
> --

I am running Linux at home and Windows NT at work. I take make GUI Java programs
home from work and keep on working on them on Linux.
I can't tell the difference on whether I am running the programs on Linux or
Windows. It is important, however, to use the Java swing components.
The AWT generates unpredictable results. Who would still use AWT anyway???

Thomas Kirsch