> I don't see the need for /etc/java-core-classes.  Every VM should be
> able to find its core classes without it.  This implies that there
> should be no need to put core classes into CLASSPATH.

1. Some (many?) compilers don't provide their own core classes, and need
   the location of core classes to be in the CLASSPATH.

2. When makefiles add things to CLASSPATH, it really helps if CLASSPATH
   already contains the core classes.  Reasons:

    - Many java tools don't understand trailing/leading : as meaning
      `the default value of CLASSPATH if it were unset'.

    - No java tool that I know of understands `::' in the middle of a
      CLASSPATH (which can arise when CLASSPATH has been both prepended
      to and appended to) as having the above meaning.

pjm.