I think Stephanes criticism of the free JVM landscape is quiet correct, and there is
no clear
way forward to resolve many off them...

However, I'd like to stress that there is a big distinction between a free JVM and
free java software.

Java is a rich environment for free software (eg 1802 java projects on sourceforge vs
3616 C projects)
and there are many "real programs" that have been written for JRE<1.3.  (OK not many
of them
include usable GUIs but IMHO java is better suited to the server side).

Furthermore, while Sun can be criticized for many things, you have to acknowledge that
they have
developed a language and process that at least allow, more often positively encourage
free
implementations of java APIs.

So while the road to a free JVM may well be rocky and full of legal pot holes, it is
a worthwhile one to go down.  I hope that somebody does step forward to champion the
cause
in debian, if only to feedback to the free JVM developers where their projects are
falling short.

As the developer of a major piece of free Java software, I can't take on this role
myself
but am happy to lend support, opinions, etc. to whomever does.

regards

--
Greg Wilkins<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          GB Ph/Fax: +44(0)7092 063462
Mort Bay Consulting Australia and UK.          http://www.mortbay.com