[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I am having trouble choosing a language to
> develop for: Java or C/C++. I have made
> applications in both languages, and I must
> say that Java was certainly easier.

To make your choice even harder (or maybe easier), you could try a few
higher-level languages as well, for example Python or Ruby.

> However, Debian's policies regarding the
> use of Java seem almost anti-java, which I
> can understand since Java is such a
> proprietary product.

Well there are free Java environments, and if you take care that
your software works with at least one of these, there is no problem.
But that means regular testing with this JRE (best by using it in
development) and ignoring of many newer features of Java.

--
Robbe