On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 03:47:32PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:

> it is not blocked, it is work in progress.  Emmanuel did decide to change the
> packaging, and did decide to drop support for most Debian architectures.
> Dropping support for Debian architectures will automatically block this
> package later on.  I'm still in progress looking at his commits and applying
> these to a source package which builds on all architectures currently
> supported by openjdk-7.

Ok, it's cool to see that is not blocked.

I can't speak for Emmanuel but I wonder why you can't collaborate more
closely on this. I think it's undeniable you are the most experienced
OpenJDK maintainer and maybe the only one that's is active right now
(I think Damien is busy nowadays). So, if Emmanuel is interested on the
maintenance I think it's a good opportunity to integrate him to that
workflow and have more people on board.

> Afaics, fixing build failures with openjdk-8 as the default is not blocked.

That's absolutely true. However, if openjdk-8 is not going to be
included on jessie then the priority of taking care of those bugs
is not going to be very high for maintainers.

> debian-java is not the place to speculate about NEW processing.

I concur. However, as I said I brought this topic because I'm
wondering about the relevance of some bugs at this point of the
release cycle, so it's tangentially relevant (for me at least).

Cheers,

Miguel Landaeta, nomadium at debian.org
secure email with PGP 0x6E608B637D8967E9 available at http://miguel.cc/key.