Hello,
The bug is closed so there is nothing to expect from OpenJDK. The solution
must come from Debian or a new bug created.
The Java version which introduced the regression is
10.0.2+13-Ubuntu-1ubuntu0.18.04.1
because it contains the fix to move accessibility.properties in the "conf"
folder. The issue did not occur before because the configuration file
enabling ATK wrapper was not found by openjdk. A few hours after this
version was delivered by Ubuntu we started to receive a dozen of bug
reports, until I delivered a JOSM hotfix mitigating the issue.

Patching openjdk with your try/catch proposal and making the ATK wrapper a
Recommends sounds a good idea.

Don't wait for openjdk guys for an answer: they simply don't care anymore
with desktop technologies.

Cheers,
Vincent