On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 11:59:47AM -0700, David Bishop wrote:

> If you install kdm, but haven't rebooted, you need to run /etc/init.d/kdm
> start as root.  You will then see the login window he was referring to.
> Otherwise, just reboot the machine.

Yeah, I just discovered that on the next boot. Please tell me how to undo
it! I don't want the system to come up in a GUI - guess I should have been
clear that what I'm trying to do is get startx or the equivalent to work
from a bash tty. I often don't work in a GUI, and don't want to waste time
going in to one just to go back out.

I'm also curious why the reinstall of kdm set it this way, when the initial
one didn't - guess that script modified the install enough to keep this
often-undesirable result from happening?

Thanks again,
Whit
[EMAIL PROTECTED]