> > K -> Preferences -> System -> Login Manager -> Sessions
> > enter the name of the gnome executable in the "New type" line and
> > click "Add new".
>
> gnome-session is the name for starting a "gnome session"

ah, yes. i thought it was that. :)
if you think, that gnome-session is a bad name for a session type
(because it's obviously "a bit" long), you may make a symlink named
"gnome".
btw, i'm playing with idea to provide aliases for session types, so
one can name a session type independently of the associated program.
does anybody think that this is _really_ useful or is "symlink aliasing"
good enough?

best regards

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.