Subject: Re: Printing in KDE - How best to - Konq, inkjet
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 14:25:44 +0100
From: Olaf Stetzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: David Bishop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Am Samstag, 19. Januar 2002 19:56 schrieb David Bishop:
> > (One thing I am confused about:  I would like to know the procedure for
> > getting printing running with the KDE in Woody.
> >
> > But, I am confused because it appears that you have described two ways to
> > get CUPS configured and the print driver installed: One relies on the
> > browser interface, one relies on using the KDE control panel.
>
> My mistake.  I should have explained what cups is :-)  Cups has a
> client/server setup, even when you are using soley one machine.  So the
> first step (edit the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf) is to configure where the cups
> server will be listening (what ports and interfaces) and what the passwords
> are to connect to it.  IIRC, there isn't *much* more than that.  The second
> stage, connecting to the cups server with a web browser, is to set up the
> server to print to your printer, i.e., "configure the driver/install the
> printer" stage.  At this stage, you can choose to print a test page, and it
> should come out fine.  However, to tell the *clients* (i.e., the programs)
> what and where to connect to, you need to configure them.  This is when you
> open up the KDE Printing dialog, and tell it to connect to the cups server
> on localhost, it does, it retrieves a list of printers that are configured,
> you select the one you set up, and now all KDE apps can automagically print
> to the cups server.  I hope that's a slightly better explanation of what's
> going on :-)
>
> > Are these indeed two alternative methods, or are they different
> > functions? Ie, does the browser based setup need to be done before the
> > KDE CUPS control panel stuff can be done?
>
> See above.

Sorry if I add some corrections here, since your answer isn't clear on the
last question (alternatives):

Yes, the browser method and the KDE/control-panel are alternative ways
of configuring cups. I did the setup for all printers I use only with the
tools under the KDE-control-panel. Everything you need is the root password
to "commit" the changes to the printer driver setup you made.

I was very pleased by the KDE-printer-setup, I can hardly think of easier
ways to setup a printing system.... BTW: I didn't touch any cups.config files
by hand at all!

Olaf

- --
D.A.Bishop