Hi tluxt,

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 01:52, tluxt wrote:
> Now that that issue seems to be largely past, I would
> appreciate it if you both would take a moment and answer a few questions,
> involving things such as:

Surely.

> 1) Who you are, what you do in real life, how you got involved in Debian,
> and involved in KDE, what (if anything) you packaged in Debian before this,
> what (if anything) you did in KDE before this, why & how you came to the
> decision to take on maintainership of the KDE packages.

I'm a computer scientist at bilkent university, working on parallel data
mining. My interest in debian comes from my wish to enhance availability of
development tools in debian.

I contribute to KDevelop2 and KDevelop3 (aka gideon) in KDE and I'm writing a
playlist for noatun in kdeaddons. I did the packaging for gideon and
contributed to kdevelop2 packaging... I also intend to take kdemultimedia as
indicated in BTS (calc can I take that when I'm back in cyberspace? ;)

I will answer the remaining questions as they relate to my work. It's mainly
up to DanielS and calc. My work will be related only to future packages.

> 2) What do you see as the time frame for upcomming Debian/KDE milestones?
> Such as:

[snip]

> C) What's your recommendation regarding: would you advise people who want
> to be making productive use of KDE now to run Woody or Sid?

This depends on what productive is. You can always run woody together with
packages from sid. That seems to be the optimal for users who want to be on
the latest release. For developers the best bet is CVS.

> D) What's up w/ KDE 3? - When, and for whom, should persons trying to make
> actual daily use of KDE begin to use KDE3?  Can KDE2 & KDE3 be put onto
> the same system, and switched between?  Is it necessary to do a complete
> separate Debian install, (one for KDE2 & one for KDE3) on the harddisk
> if one wants to be able to try switch between 2 & 3?

You can start testing right now. We are at Beta 1 and I guess we know what
that means ;) If you want it for "production" use, you should be waiting for
the final release IMO.

If you want to contribute to testing, my advice is to do "focused" tests if
you can. Take an application or two that you care about and force them to the
limits.

You can run KDE3 and KDE2 on the same system, but debian packages will not do
this for you it seems. You may have to compile it yourself. Switching between
2 & 3 is not supported either, when KDE3 is released it will simply replace
KDE2. (I was thinking of providing a set of binaries that would do this
"switching trick" for you, but I don't know if I'll have the time for it ;)

Thanks,

- --
Eray Ozkural (exa) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>