On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Keian Rao Eng Haau <kinga...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Brad, considering you have done "sudo halt", this might sound a bit
> stupid, but have you tried using "shutdown -h now" instead? You might need
> to sudo that. For restarts, use "-r" instead of "-h".

You do need sudo for shutdown. And shutdown -h is the same command as
halt...In fact, in this age of systemd, they both point to /bin/systemctl:

$ ls -l /sbin/shutdown
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Jan 29 03:14 /sbin/shutdown -> /bin/systemctl
$ ls -l /sbin/halt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Jan 29 03:14 /sbin/halt -> /bin/systemctl

> What exactly happens when you try to logout? Nothing happens?

Nothing. The menu doesn't even come up when I click the logout button in
the tray, and when I click the K button and click Leave -> Logout, nothing
happens.

Thanks,
--b