For the past few days, there have been several notifications on my desktop
that refuse to terminate. (By this I mean that the little circle with the
number of notifications has been sitting there with a non-zero number.)

Right now, as I write this, the number of notifications is "10". Five of these
are "Getting updates", and the other five are "Refreshing package cache". I
associate these sorts of message with "dpkg" or "apt", but there is no process
with those names running.

The plasma-desktop process is using about 42% CPU, and nothing I have tried
has either changed the amount of CPU being used, nor killed any of the jobs
associated with the notifications.

I have tried logging out and logging back in (several times), but that has no
noticeable effect at all: the notifications remain, as does the CPU usage.

Any suggestions as to how to get back to a situation with zero notifications
and minimal CPU usage?

For what it's worth, I have no idea at all what happened to cause this
aberrant behaviour.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR