On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 18:46:43 +0200 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> I meanwhile sent a mail to upstream distribution mailinglist exactly asking
> about upstream recommendations about this. I intend to forward an answer to
> debian-qt-kde mailing list and ping the team on IRC about it, cause it really
> is no user support issue and so discussing it here leaves it to pure chance
> whether one of the packagers picks it up.

Thanks Martin, that is very helpful, especially if you think that Debian Qt/KDE
packaging team
isn't reading this list (I wasn't aware of this). As Diederik said, it's
happening fairly regularly now,
that mixed combination of frameworks causes breakage, so if Debian migrations
method can ensure that
frameworks packages enter testing all at once, it sounds like a good approach
and will provide improvement
for testing in both testability and bug reporting and actual usability. And
from what I understood, if upstream
developers already view frameworks as related set of packages that shouldn't be
mixed, it should translate into
related transitions naturally.

And while you might hold that testing is not supposed to be used a day to day
distro, and is purely for testing,
I'm sure you are aware there are other opinions, and there is no uniform
position on this even amongst Debian
developers, let alone amongst actual Debian users. Just because there is a
disagreement, doesn't mean things can't
be improved in a way that benefits everyone in the end :)

Regards,
Hillel.