I was trying to fill out a PDF form on Okular and my system started crawling to
halt on text fields until it locked up completely. SSD stayed solid on (so God
knows how many write cycles it gluttoned), fan went into overdrive trying to
keep the circuitry from frying, and the computer  completely froze. I couldn't
even SSH in to shut down programs  because my frozen computer couldn't spare
any resources to authenticate remote access. The only log entries indicating
that something was amiss was:

boinc[1409]: 10-Feb-2023 00:22:44 [---] Suspending computation - CPU is busy
boinc[1409]: 10-Feb-2023 00:22:57 [---] Resuming computation

Followed by a 10-minute gap in all logs until I hard-rebooted the system.

So unless I missed something in one of the logs, there's  nothing anyone can do
about this  other than note for posterity that KDE and Linux still haveĀ
systemic design flaws.  Rogue apps can still cripple  the system without
leaving any evidence whatsoever of what went wrong. And until it leaves
evidence, there's no way to identify the bugs. Just frustrated users and lost
data when you can't save what you're working on.

Maybe a doctoral student is working on these design issues so this doesn't
happen. If not, there should be.

Vent over. Thank you for reading.