Hi.

local10 - 15.08.24, 01:20:15 CEST:
> However, has anything meaningfully improved in the KDE 6.x that would
> justify upgrading to it sooner rather than later?

Restoring from a saved session now works for me again. Still again on X11
for me so far. This also applies to activities which now correctly restore
to their last state instead of showing up empty.

But AFAIR the mailing list thread here about this, this did also apply to
Wayland. It is broken in Plasma 5 in testing/unstable since a while. At
least on X11 but I think also on Wayland.

If you use Debian stable session restore stuff should be working just fine.

Plasma 6 reliably remembers my dual monitor setup on X11 now. Plasma 5 in
unstable lost the settings almost every time I resumed the laptop from
standby giving a clone view instead of laptop display and external display
next to each other.

AFAIK this was also working in Plasma 5 from stable.

So these two bugs that affected me with Plasma 5 were only in testing/
unstable. I am not sure why it got broken during late Plasma 5 stable
development.

Both issues were rather annoying for me as I use activities and dual
monitors a lot.

So if you are coming from stable and expect stable, do not upgrade yet.

If you are on testing or probably preferably at the moment unstable – as
installing packages from experimental is involved – then it depends on
your use case.

Middle ground would be using either testing or unstable and wait for
everything in there. You'd avoid using packages from experimental which
can be a challenge at times to get installed without removing everything
else in the system :). Or at least parts of it.

Actually at the moment I have no issue with Plasma 6. At least no serious
one. It appears to be a bit more sensitive regarding screen border
actions. I have composite window view on lower border. When I move the
mouse pointer there often enough it activates the effect and deactivates it
again. When I move the mouse pointer there with taking extra care not to
move it much further than the screen border, then it works. Maybe I can
adapt some setting to adapt that to the old behavior.

And there is that issue with classic mail view in KMail losing column
widths. However I solved this by just switching to the two line per mail
intelligent view.

The only other thing I saw that on logout it at least sometimes hung and I
needed to kill the processes of the user session manually. But this could
be related to me using Devuan with elogind instead of Debian with systemd-
logind. That is likely in case none of the Debian Plasma 6 users have this
issue. But of course it can also relate to me using X11 instead of
Wayland. I did not dig into this further at the moment. But logout was
reliable with Plasma 5, so not sure as elogind did not change recently.
Also it appears elogind is even available in Debian as well and apparently
the used by some. However maybe unlikely by someone using Plasma 6
already.

However in case you choose Plasma 6, there could be new issues at any
time. Sure, Debian Qt/KDE team members do not introduce issues on purpose…
however its testing/unstable and currently partly also experimental.
Package maintainers develop their next stuff in unstable/experimental, so
bugs can happen anytime. And not all of them get caught in time for
testing.

Also you need to be skilled in using apt / aptitude and reviewing their
output before applying an upgrade or change.

Another aspect would be whether you feel like helping with testing this
stuff which helps the developers to prepare a good and stable experience
for Debian 13 aka Trixie and distributions that derive from it.

Best,
--
Martin