On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 Horms wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 04:50:03PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > This breaks the accounting format, so it's a change that needs a lot
> > of thought.
>
> I agree, though it is curious that it is enabled on alpha and hppa.
> Does that imply that it works with their userspace, and thus should work
> on other arches too. Or does it imply that no one has noticed that it
> doesn't work?

Most certainly the latter. v3 format is so different that it does not work
'by accident'. So the right fix for this inconsistency is to turn
CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT_V3 off on all platforms (at least until userland
is able to understand this format).

Regarding transition to v3 format, I see two possible routes:

1) Install acct package with multiformat support. This allows users to
   switch between kernels different CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT_V3 settings
   and probably smoothens the transition.

2) Don't change the acct package, but remove acct v2 format support from
   the kernel (and libc header files!).
   This way recompiling acct leads to userland tools that understand
   v3 format _only_.
   Less smooth a transition for users, but doesn't rely on my
   multiformat support patch being bug-free. ;-)
   SuSE e.g. decided to follow this route.

Best would probably be to have multiformat support in an official release
of GNU acct, but this requires someone to actually work on a release. So
far all volunteers (including me) have stepped back from this task before
they got a release out. :-(

Btw., don't forget the other tools that read the accounting file.
"atop" was brought to my attention, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Tim