My workarounds for this at the moment are to install tools that increase
the kernel entropy pool.

If not a virtual machine, and `grep -i -o -m 1 rdrand /proc/cpuinfo`
returns 'rdrand', then I install the 'rng-tools5' package which uses the
hardware rng in many cpu's to provide entropy to the kernel.

If that fails or if it's a virtual machine, then I install the 'haveged'
package.

Note: Neither of these are fixes. They're work-arounds for the current
issue that allow somewhat normal operation. eg; Some people have issues
around how random the hardware rng is in some machines.

PS: Have seen a number of people suffering this issue in #debian on
freenode, and also on #debian & #debian-next on oftc.

--
Stuart Young (aka Cefiar)