Hi

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 11:21:36PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Bastian Blank writes ("Re: Testing git-debrebase/dgit in the linux git repo"):
> > See https://salsa.debian.org/waldi/lvm2-gitdebrebase-test/network/master
> >
> > To get to this state I used the following commands:
> >
> > % git checkout -b feature/2.02.177 master
> > % git debrebase new-upstream 2.02.177
> > % git checkout master
> > % git merge --no-ff feature/2.02.177
> > % git checkout -b feature/2.02.179 master
> > % git debrebase new-upstream 2.02.179
>
> Wait, I looked at this again and I think I have misunderstood what you
> tried.
>
> Something like what you describe above might well work.  I cloned the
> tree you mention and its master (80203aaf59da3b0c) looks in a
> reasonable shape.  My git-debrebase is entirely happy with it.  But,
> the merge you made looks like a psuedomerge because it is entirely
> identical to onen of its parents.  So it's not a merge test case.
> Also your `New upstream version 2.02.177' is some kind of tarball
> import.  Is it not maintained in git upstream ?

It is a merge test case. Of cause one of the parents is identical to the
result of the merge, as the history of those merge requests will look
like:

  2-3    4-5
 /   \  /   \
1-----3*-----5*

> I'm also confused about whether you are saying that the master branch
> in that repo is the result, or the starting point, for the commands
> you quote above.  If it is the result then I am confused because I see
> no commit corresponding to new-upstream 2.02.179.

Take a look on the graph where the (not requested) "update changelog"
commits are.

> I can't repro what you did because I don't seem to be able to get the
> right bits.  In particular, the tags like 2.02.177 are only available
> from upstream or something ?  Your Vcs-Git header does not work for
> me:
>   zealot:lvm2-gitdebrebase-test> git-fetch -v vcs-git
>   Username for 'https://gitlab.com':

I have no idea what you are trying to do.  I gave you the URL to a test
project hosted on salsa.debian.org, clone it.

Bastian

--
Intuition, however illogical, is recognized as a command prerogative.
                -- Kirk, "Obsession", stardate 3620.7