Hi Christoph,

On Sat, Feb 18, 2023 at 01:35:07AM +0100, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Hey Salvatore.
>
> On Wed, 2023-02-15 at 07:12 +0100, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> > Just to be sure, that I understood you correctly. That is if on the
> > current system with the issue you roll back just only the kernel back
> > to 6.1.8-1, then the issue dissaper?
>
> Exactly, and the roll back even only in the sense of just booting the
> previous one (I do not even reinstall packages or so).
>

> > If this is the case, would you be testing as well directly 6.1.8 and
> > 6.1.11 upstream (please do as well 6.1.12, 6.1.12-1 though just
> > uploaded to unstable earlier today), and if reproducible, bisect the
> > changes between the two versions to find the introducing bad commit?
>
> I've tested 6.1.12 in the meantime, ... still has the problem.
>
> In fact it seems as if any changes I make with the synclient tool to
> the relevant settings e.g.:
> $ synclient MinSpeed=0.5 MaxSpeed=1.5 AccelFactor=0.5
> have no longer any effect at all.
>
> Even if I set extreme values, nothing seems to change.
>

> I've also taken the src:linux package (as of 6.1.12) recompiled it just
> with:
> 6816478c0db15ad0dbe7f9b6ffaff9ad6db5e74d
> reverted.
> That seemed the most promising one, despite me NOT having an HP
> notebook (which that commit is allegedly about, but rather a Fujitsu).
>
> But no change with that.

May you with 6.1.20-1 which should soon reach testing as well? Is the
issue still present?

> If you want me to test 6.1.8/12 upstream... is it enough to simply take
> the Debian source packages and unapply any Debian patches?
> I'm always quite reluctant of taking any code which I cannot properly
> verify myself (and I don't trust github or https enough ;-) )

Well if at some point we need to bisect, you have to go to upstream
git. The tags are signed by Greg, and you find a copy of his key as
well in the Debian source in debian/upstream/signing-key.asc .

So if 6.1.20 ist still affected, if this is possible for you,
bisecting it between the versions can help us pin point the
introducing commit and report it upstream.

Regards,
Salvatore