On Sun, Jul 23, 2023 at 09:44:40AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> After a lot of thinking, maybe a solution that allows for incompatible
> package updates without renames would be more useful.  Something like:
>
> We uncouple the package names and ABI.  The ABI will include the
> complete version, so every rebuild will change it.  The package names
> can include just the upstream version, aka 6.1.1.

And in addition: header and other support packages are not longer
renamed.  So they can only be installed once and need to be searched by
the actual version of the image package.

In any way, everything is weird and broken.  We currently often run
into uninstallable meta packages, due to the signing stuff adding a race
condition between the availability of the header packages and the image
packages.  Then people tend to not reboot, so they are searching for
older headers, which are already removed.  And there is no really good
solution.

The only real solution would be to always bundle headers and images and
install everything.  But this will make everything 50MB larger and does
not fit for things like the stripped down cloud kernels.

Regards,
Bastian

--
What kind of love is that?  Not to be loved; never to have shown love.
                -- Commissioner Nancy Hedford, "Metamorphosis",