Hey Andrew,

On 2024-05-22 07:44, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> For example, we’re going to make an Intel 6300ESB watchdog device
> available, and that needs a driver that’s been in Linux a long time
> but isn’t enabled in the cloud kernel. For that one, another Debian
> user +1’d the request because it would benefit users of other
> KVM-based clouds (including private clouds). We can enumerate other
> examples, but many of those also require backports or a future Debian
> release.

In general the procedure to get a new module enabled in a future Debian
release is:

- open a bug report just like you have done for I6300ESB_WDT [1]
- open a corresponding merge request on Salsa, Vincent did that for
  I6300ESB_WDT already [2]

Which files to edit and how to build a kernel with the module(s) on may
not be immediately obvious. As I was learning how to do it myself, I
posted some notes on [3]. Perhaps we could add a section to the Debian
Kernel Handbook now that I think of it.

The final step is waiting for someone to review and merge your changes,
with a gentle ping on irc (#debian-kernel on oftc) in case nothing
happens for a while. :-)

Perhaps someone else may comment for backports, I imagine the steps to
follow may be similar but don't know for sure.

> So we have the problem that the Debian cloud kernel supports some, but
> not all, of the devices our shared users need, and we’re not sure of
> the right way to solve that. We wondered if we should switch the
> images to the generic kernel, or if there’s a way we could help the
> cloud kernel support more clouds, or if there’s a better solution we
> haven’t thought of.

I think the best approach is enabling the needed modules one by one in
the cloud image following the procedure above.

  Emanuele

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/1067908
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/merge_requests/1059
[3] https://www.linux.it/~ema/posts/enabling-kernel-settings-in-debian/