On Thu, 30 May 2024 at 14:24, Ben Hutchings <b...@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2024-05-30 at 14:00 +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 May 2024 at 00:17, Sudip Mukherjee
> > <sudipm.mukher...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately we didn't have time for it this time.

No problem. And even if bpftool is built as a new package, I think
Luca will like to keep bpftool with kernel team. Whoever maintains it,
as long as a release version is packaged and not a development
version, all is good.  So, I will leave it with you and the kernel
team.
Please ping me if you need me to do anything.

> > > bpftool is already with the kernel team and being built from kernel
> > > source. And I anticipated that bpftool will move to github like
> > > upstream libbpf did and also mentioned that at
> > > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=948041#83. So, its
> > > upto the kernel team what they want to do with bpftool -
> > > 1. continue to build from kernel source and we can just close this bug
> > > 2. Split bpftool from kernel source and package it from github. The
> > > kernel team can maintain if they want to maintain an userspace
> > > package. If the kernel team does not want to maintain it, I can do
> > > that.
> > >
> > > About libbpf, I am confused with your message. What kind of help? Are
> > > you seeing that libbpf is not maintained properly?
> >
> > I'm not talking about the upstream source, but about the debian
> > repository: given both of these are inextricably tied to the kernel, I
> > think it would be good to have the downstream repositories in salsa,
> > in the kernel-team area - and of course, still including yourself as
> > repo owner. The kernel team is not only for the kernel package, but
> > also other kernel-adjacent packages like ethtool, iproute2, firmware,
> > iw, etc: https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team
>
> Ah, I hadn't noticed that the libbpf packaging was on Github.
>
> I agree with Luca that it would be preferable to have these on Salsa
> but I don't have a strong opinion on whether they should be in the
> kernel-team group.

Absolutely. I dont remember why some of my packages (from 2019 - 2020)
are in github. But I will definitely move them to salsa.
About moving it under kernel team, I think I will say "no" to that
unless Luca can give some very good reasons about what is missing now
that will change if ts moved under kernel team.

--
Regards
Sudip