I'm trying to build a Debian kernel with a 1-line patch, in order to build
a Debian system image for a C.H.I.P. brand ARM board. I would specifically
like to build kernel v6.8.12 with the debian/6.8.12-1 version of <
https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux>.

I'm trying to follow the kernel cross-build instructions on the wiki: <
https://wiki.debian.org/HowToCrossBuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage>. I am
doing this from an Ubuntu 22.04 host system, because that's what I have
already and nothing in those instructions or at <
https://kernel-team.pages.debian.net/kernel-handbook/ch-common-tasks.html#s-common-official>
suggested that I should need anything else.

But it doesn't work; the scripts assume I have Python 3.11 as the system
python, for example, when my host system only has 3.10. Because of <
https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/commit/6033fc28e827bbd4d32b68e4b6b8444ee9de8edd>
they specifically refuse to consult PATH and deliberately insist on using
the system Python. If I bypass that, install Python 3.11 on the system, and
install the required Python packages by trial and error, I get stuck
because my system's version of dpkg-architecture is too old to know about
the loong64 architecture and fails when asked about it.

Presumably this is all broken because I'm going about this in a completely
and obviously wrong way. I don't just need any old Debian-based system from
2022 to build Debian's v6.8.12 kernel; I need a Debian-based system current
to at least version X of the Debian userland's build helpers, and I perhaps
need a 100% genuine non-forked-off Debian.

*What environment exactly does the Debian kernel build tooling target?* Is
only Debian unstable expected to be new enough to build the Debian kernel
packages? Can I use Debian stable? Or oldstable? Is there some recommended
process for building in a chroot or container, or do I need to first
install a full OS setup on my host system if I want to cross-build Debian
for an embedded target?

Thanks,
-Adam