On Monday, 24 June 2024 14:10:18 CEST Leith Bade wrote:
> On 24 Jun 2024 at 20:32, Diederik de Haas <didi.deb...@cknow.org> wrote:
> > > This likely due to my unfamiliarity with building the Debian kernel.
>
> I will eventually manage to figure it out. Part of the problem is that
> there is a lot of different advice around the place and a lot of it is out
> of date.

https://kernel-team.pages.debian.net/kernel-handbook/ or the offline version in
the debian-kernel-handbook package *should* give you the proper advice.
If not, then that's a bug.

> > > The device tree is a modified version of the
> > > upstream linux device tree file "mediatek/mt7986a-bananapi-bpi-r3.dtb"
> >
> > Can you share those changes? I analyzed and enabled modules purely on
> > what's available upstream.
>
> Yes, I just need to tidy them up into a series of git commits. I don't
> think I had to change anything module related,

Ok, I use the "compatible" string to figure out what modules are needed.

> the main issue was the GPIO pin conflicts. I plan to coordinate with the
> original author of the file (who is on the Banana Pi forum) to work towards
> getting them submitted to Linux.

Awesome

> Thanks for the advice. The patches I have seen are fairly minor - mainly
> adding another special case to match the SFP name string.
>
> I think the upstream concern stems from the way these vendors of these
> cheap SFP modules are just programming so many different model strings to
> rebadge them as they see fit. There is even a documented case where two
> devices from two different vendors have the exact same ID strings, but two
> different incompatible PHY chips inside.

sigh. I can understand upstream's concern.

> > I'm still missing a "Tested-by:" tag for my changes ;-P
>
> Tested-by: Leith Bade <le...@bade.nz>

Haha, thanks :)

Cheers,
  Diederik