On Saturday, 4 February 2023 22:12:24 CEST Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2023 at 09:20:57PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Diederik de Haas dijo [Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 10:33:41PM +0100]:
> > >
> > > I do strongly think they do not belong in the raspi-firmware package for
> > > the reason I retitled this bug and retitled my response Subject.
> > > Another reason is that the raspi-firmware package makes (several)
> > > assumptions, namely that they are only used/usable on RPi devices and
> > > have a /boot/firmware directory (where a FAT partition is mounted,
> > > although that part is not checked for). I have previously expressed my
> > > concerns/doubts about that, but that's outside the scope of this bug.
> > > It also looks 'weird' to install the raspi-firmware package while you
> > > only care about the wifi firmware and not care about RPi's at all.
> >
> > Right, I agree this should be a package of its own. I didn't know
> > raspi-nonfree came from a "coherent" set of firmware sources provided
> > by a single upstream. It is a distorsion that peopleinterested in
> > brcmfmac firmware have to install raspi-firmware if they have
> > different hardware.
>
> So I guess we can close this bug here, and the files can be shipped
> with a new dedicated source package containing the firmware files,
> since the last option of having them merged upstream in
> linux-firmware.git seems unrealistic for now?
>
> Regards,
> Salvatore
>
> p.s.: sorry misstyped initially the origin source package, was obviously
>       not meaning raspi-config, so raspi-firmware.

Just quoting this here as AFAICT Salvatore's solution (new source package) is
the right one (and removed from the raspi-firmware package).
I'll not remove the 'upstream' tag as it's set by the maintainer, but if you
think the RPi Foundation will do the work to send it to the linux-firmware
repo, then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.