On Fri, 31 May 2024 16:30:37 -0400 Sergio Durigan Junior
<sergi...@debian.org> wrote:
> Source: linux
> Version: 6.8.11-1
> Severity: normal
>
> Dear maintainer,
>
> Upon investigating why Debian's linux-perf does not support
debuginfod,
> I found the following excerpt on its rules file[1]:
>
>     # perf can link against libdebuginfod if available, but the
result is
>     # undistributable for the same reason.  Override detection of
>     # libdebuginfod.
>     MAKE_PERF += NO_LIBDEBUGINFOD=1
>
> This picked my attention, as I am not aware of any licensing issues
that
> might prevent linux-perf from linking against libdebuginfod.
>
> While looking at debuginfod source files[2], I found that
libdebuginfod
> is actually composed of a single file[3]:
>
>     libdebuginfod_a_SOURCES = debuginfod-client.c
>     libdebuginfod_pic_a_SOURCES = debuginfod-client.c
>
> and that debuginfod-client.c is dual-licensed GPL-3+ and GPL-2+[4]:
[...]

Thank you for pointing this out.

I disabled use of debuginfod on 26/12/2022, and it looks like I missed
your update to the elfutils debian/copyright file on 21/12/2022 that
would have made the dual licensing of this library clear.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.