Hi Mike,

On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 01:41:32PM -0400, Mike Waterman wrote:

> It'd be great to do this:
>
> ```
> auto vrfexample
> iface vrfexample
>     vrf-table auto
>
> auto vrfexample2
> iface vrfexample2
>     vrf-table auto
> ```
>
> Or this:
>
> ```
> ip link add vrfexample type vrf table auto
> ip link add vrfexample2 type vrf table auto
> ```

If the ability to specify 'auto' in iproute2 isn't an absolute requirement
and iproute2 upstream rejects the idea then implementing this in ifupdown*
would also be possible.

I maintain ifupdown-ng in Debian (and am involved upstream) which already
has rudimentary [VRF support] I'd be happy to help you work on this, but
the first step really is to ask the iproute2 maintainer,
Stephen Hemminger <step...@networkplumber.org>, to consider this feature.

[VRF support]:
https://github.com/ifupdown-ng/ifupdown-ng/blob/main/executor-scripts/linux/vrf