On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 13:04:38 +0200 Frans Pop wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 August 2006 12:37, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > Perhaps there is something to learn from the dictionaries-common
> > package?  I have not checked how they do it, but know the dictionary
> > packages only ask the user once to select language, after all the
> > language packages are installed.
>
> Not true.
>
> I'm currently seeing two questions from dictionaries-common for
> Ispell during an English desktop install:
> - first time I can select between ibrittish and "manual"
> - second time I can select between iamerican, ibrittish and "manual"
>
> I'm not sure if this is a bug and, if so, where the bug is, but it
> does kind of support maks' statement that such a structure is fragile.

It is no bug: The logic is to ask again when new possible better
options comes around, or if your choice disappears.

So if you were british, and had choice between american and manual,
you'd probably choose american - but when later the british option is
added it makes sense to ask again.

On the other hand, if american, british and manual is offered, you
choose british, and later the american package is removed, you won't
get asked again. (or please file a bugreport if you do ;-) ).

So back to the original request: Since initramfs-tools currently simply
enable all hooks without asking, the needed logic is actually simpler
than the (deliberate!) one of dictionaries-common.

Hope that makes sense.

 - Jonas