On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 04:39:52PM +0100, David Härdeman wrote:
> On Fri, February 23, 2007 16:28, maximilian attems said:
>
> No, unfortunately it seems that the times between loading the usb host
> controller, loading usb-storage and spawning the usb-storage-scan thread
> are all asynchronous. So we can't really know how long time we need to
> wait for any of those stages.

zut they were only pasted to irc it seems,
no you had the mandrake one posted, so this one might not
been on the radar yet
http://david.woodhou.se/olpc-init.txt

my current statement is that other distribution add some stupid
sleep inside on the case of some async drivers.
afair that the heuristic for the choice is done on build time.

> So just to make sure: you want the use of the rootdelay parameter to be
> added to the udev script and kept in the initramfs script (i.e. used
> twice)?
>
> In that case if you specify "rootdelay=5", the boot will pause in the udev
> stage and then again after the premount stage (before the actual mount).
>
> The dual wait is probably no big deal of course...since it adds a few
> seconds to some exotic boot scenarios only. I'll start working on this...

the dual wait only comes to play if your root doesn't show off yet
after the first round. see scripts/local:
if [ ! -e "${ROOT}" ]; then

--
maks