On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 19:58 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 07:52:53PM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > #> dpkg -S /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird
> > yaird: /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird
>
> oh please use mkinitramfs, install initramfs-tools,
> the postinst will pick it up automaticaly without troubles
> as it is the default anyway.
>
> interested if that boots?
#> dpkg -l initramfs-tools
ii  initramfs-tools 0.85f tools for generating an initramfs

Yes it boots. Now the initrd image is much larger:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4582735 2007-03-19 20:07 initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686

compared to:
-rw------- 1 root root 1221818 2007-03-19 19:33 initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686

According to the description yaird produces more compact images:

 Compared with earlier implementations like mkinitrd, it does a
 better job of deciding which modules are needed for your system,
 so it produces smaller images and there is less risk of making
 an image that will not boot.  This comes at a price:
 only Linux 2.6 is supported (because 2.6 has sysfs, which makes
 it a lot easier to do a hardware inventory).

Should I file a bug report for yaird? At least you can close the bug on
the kernel.

> and yes i agree that lilo is a pain, with grub you are
> able to easier change boot params on boot.

Any quick solution to switch from lilo to grub?

Svante