[ I wonder if anyone "in the know" has even read the original message? :-) ]

I'm still trying to track this down. I've tried irqpoll and irqfixup, nomce and combinations of the pci=... arguments nomsi and noacpi, all with nommconf as well. The order of lines changes, I get timeouts in different places, but the end result is the boot hangs, but the system does respond to CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Ubuntu has a bug thread back in March/April of 2007, which seems to evolve around the JMicron AHCI controller (JMB36x). It seems that what was needed was the following kernel modules need to be in the initramfs/initrd file:
libata
ata_piix
ahci
ata_generic
pata_jmicron
Looking in the modules provide by the Debian 2.6.20-1-k7 package, it is missing the pata_jmicron kernel module (in drivers/ata). A number of Debian kernels have a jmicron.ko file in drivers/ide/pci. Is this jmicron.ko the file that seems to be missing in drivers/ata? If so, since the file is present but in a different directory, I guess some kind of dependency is keeping it from being used?

Gordon Haverland