After being advised that upgrading to more recent firmware fixes
this problem, I've installed Dell driver update R149666, which
upgrades the Perc 5i firmware to version v5.1.1-0040.  That seems to
solve this problem for me even when I boot back into the unmodified
2.6.16 kernel.  I therefore believe that this bug should be considered
a firmware bug instead of a kernel bug, and closed in Debian's BTS.
  Thanks!