On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 11:21:42AM -0000, Karena Stannett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm hoping you can answer a question for me. I'm about to start some
> comparison research on two transport protocols, SCTP and DCCP, which
> means some network emulation. Lucky for me the open source community
> is working on implementations of these protocols! From
> http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Net:DCCP I believe DCCP is
> implemented within the Linux kernel and from
> http://lksctp.sourceforge.net/INSTALL I know I need a Linux
> distribution with SCTP support.

Both kernel and userspace support for SCTP are available in Debian 4.0
and later. Debian 4.0 is based on a 2.6.18 kernel, but a number of
changesets have been backported from later kernels to increase
stability. This is thanks to my coworker Vlad Yasevich, who is also
the upstream SCTP maintainer for Linux.

That said, I'm not an SCTP expert, so I don't know of a good resource
for documentation. I'd suggest beginning with the documentation in the
lksctp-tools and libsctp-dev packages, and using google from there.

I know even less about DCCP, but there is at least kernel support for
it available in Debian 4.0 ('etch') and later.

--
dann frazier