On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 08:15:00AM +0100, thomas schorpp wrote:
> Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:10:39PM +0100, thomas schorpp wrote:
>>> confirmed or the doc is outdated, udev is not involved in issues,
>>> just clean up z25_persistent-net.rules, managed mode with RSN EAP-PSK
>>> fine but master mode not selectable here with ucode5.fw:
>>
>> My problem was actually related to udev.  After removing the line from
>> the /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules file, it booted properly.
>>
>> I had this in it:
>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:0f:66:c6:91:12",
>> NAME="eth3"
>>
>> And udev now added:
>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:0f:66:c6:91:12",
>> ATTR{type}=="1", NAME="wlan0"
>>
>> And it seems the kernel get confused when I tried to talk to wmaster0 as
>> if it were wlan0.
>>
>> Anyway, if you have a different problem, I think then atleast 465775
>> should get reassigned to udev.
>>

>> Kurt
>>

> well master mode is not available at this time due to upstream wireless stack
> limitations.

I'm not using master mode, and that is not my problem.  My problem is
that my interface (wlan0) doesn't properly get renamed to eth3, and it
ends up as wlan0_rename.

They way I see it you had two problems:
- The renaming didn't work properly, but you've solved that by
  "cleaning up" the udev files.  That worked for all of us.
- Master mode doesn't work.

Both bug reports were really only about the first issue.  Which is
why I suggested that we reassign the other bug report to udev.

> for udev i've said "clean up" and not "add something". without Your addition
> it will work.

Clean up was removing the old line that renamed wmaster0 to eth3 and
then failed to rename wlan0 to eth3 and got me wlan0_rename.  udev
itself added the new line.

> this cannot be done automatically since b43 is not bcm43xxx for udev. how
> should it know?

There is nothing in there that says it's either b43 or bcm43xxx.  Any
driver that gives that MAC address should do.  I don't see why this
should cause a problem.

> and _never_ add manually created stuff to (partly) autogenerated config files
> in ".d" directories!

I did not add anything, I removed something.  But those are config files:
if things aren't working the way you want them, you _can_ edit them.

eth3 was previously added to that config file by udev itself.

> and you cannot "talk" to wmaster0, this is just a driver internal device
> without wexts like madwifi's wifi0.

The problem is that wmaster0 got renamed to eth3.  During boot it tried
to do "ifup eth3" , so basicly "ifup wmaster0=eth3".  udev should have
renamed wlan0 to eth3 instead and things would have worked.

Once the scripts have tried to do the ifup on wmaster0/eth3, things seem
to break and doing "ifup wlan0_rename=eth3" doesn't work anymore.  This
might be for instance because ifup tried to assign a static ip address
to wmaster0/eth3.

Kurt