Severity: grave

I am increasing the gravity of this bug, because it makes the apple iBook G4 laptop pretty much unusable without an external mouse, and because people seems to just ignore this PowerPC specific bug.

A very easy way to systematicaly reproduce this bug is to close the lid (or make it to sleep somehow), and then touch continously the mousepad during the wakeup. If you don't touch the trackpad, it might wakeup properly (maybe 1 chance on 3 to still have a working mouse).

I also tried the same with the 2.6.18 kernel, and got similar results but with a significant difference: with the 2.6.18 kernel, I can make the mouse working again by simply doing "rmmod appletouch" and then "modprobe -a appletouch".

If I use the 2.6.26 kernel instead, I get the already reported following errors and the only way I know to make the mouse working again is rebooting.

> [45692.025239] appletouch: Could not do mode read request from device (Geyser Raw mode)
> [45692.025289] appletouch: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with error -5
> [45692.025347] usbcore: registered new interface driver appletouch

Please note that xserver-xorg-input-synaptics is not even installed, and that the bug is reproducible in runlevel 1 with just enough things running to be able to put the laptop in sleep mode.

My guess is that there is 2 bugs involved: a new bug in the appletouch driver in the kernel >= 2.6.24 (maybe before) that prevent removing and adding again the driver properly in some conditions, and another possibly old bug that, for some reasons, showup systematically in Lenny while it was seldom appearing in Etch.

In Etch, you could sometime lost the mouse after a wakeup, but it happened maybe just once a month, and since you could just remove and add again the driver, it was mostly just a nuisance.

This bug is really annoying, reducing enough the usability of the iBook to make me seriously considering downgrading to Etch or looking at another distribution if it fix my problem.

Simon Valiquette