On Sat, 2009-07-25 at 10:24 -0700, dann frazier wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 02:33:38PM -0700, Alok Kataria wrote:
> > Package: linux-2.6
> > Version: Debian 5.0r2
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > There was a regression on mainline kernel due to my patches for tsc
> > unification.
> > It seems lenny has picked-up those unification patches but didn't pick
> > the fix for that regression.
>
> Thanks for the report.
> Are you referring to the tsc_32/tsc_64 merge? We haven't included that
> for lenny and there aren't currently any plans to.

Yep that is what I was referring to. Its strange that the bug I am
seeing is so similar to the one reported in that commit.
Maybe something else is causing this panic it seems let me see if I can
get to the bottom of it.

>  The fixes for
> #524542 that I have in the abi branch use the pre-merge version from
> Ubuntu.

I see, though I must say that its really confusing for a person like me,
I had assume that kernel version 2.6.26 will have all the stuff from the
vanilla tree, but it seems you do things differently.

> If you're referring to something else, please let me know..
>
> > I checked sources for Debian5 5.0r2 and its missing the fix.
> >
> > The commit details for the fix are
> >
> > commit 3d0decc4f49e8645cd6369b02ed076bebd3d61ad
> > Author: Ingo Molnar <mi...@elte.hu>
> > Date:   Fri Jul 11 15:09:15 2008 +0200
> >
> >     x86: fix tsc unification buglet with ftrace and stackprotector
> >

> > Please include it in the next security update.
>
> If you believe this has security implifications, I'd suggest bringing
> it up on the oss-security list so that it gets tracked as such.

I didn't mean it has security implication, just that the fix should be
picked up for next update.
But let me check what is wrong here, for now no need to apply this fix.
Moritz, you may want to hold the svn update it seems TSC unification was
not done for your tree.

Thanks,
Alok