I experienced similar behaviour, however I saw different results when
using "vserver foo start" and when using "/etc/init.d/util-vserver
start", with only the latter exhibiting the problem. The problem appears
to be caused by secure-mount segfaulting (as you can see in your logs)
when mounting /dev/pts. Changing the vserver's fstab file to include the
options "rw,noexec,nosuid" for the devpts entry seems to fix the
problem. Here's the entry from my fstab in case it helps anybody:

none    /dev/pts        devpts  rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620 0 0