On Sun, Apr 11 2010, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-04-11 at 11:12 -0700, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>> > yes indeed you lost *all* of my respect, when you were crying out
>> > about firmware issues in linux-2.6, did zero work on it,
>> > and then run an immense blob in ring 0.
>>
>>         You seem to mistake what Debian does, and what we support our
>>  users doing.  Debian should not ship binary blobs.  But if users want to
>>  do so, we support them.
> [...]
>
> We shouldn't stand in their way but we have no obligation and limited
> ability to support them.

        I think we put it as:
,----
| We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that do
| not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines.
|
| <SNIP parts about contrinb and non-free>
|
| Thus, although non-free works are not a part of Debian, we
| support their use and provide infrastructure for non-free
| packages (such as our bug tracking system and mailing lists).
`----

        However, I think your statement is reasonable. The level of
 support depends on the teams/maintainers.  Supporting free software
 comes above supporting non-free software.

        The kernel team has made their level of commitment
 clear, as is proper. Indeed, I don't expect the kernel team to support
 either non-debian sources, nor _any_ third party modules, really.
 Which is why I directed the user to make-kpkg, which does, to an
 extent, supports both.

        manoj
--
DeVries' Dilemma: If you hit two keys on the typewriter, the one you
don't want hits the paper.