Noticed this bug was marked as not in 2.6.37-1.  FWIW, it's still in 2.6.37-2
and the latest dist-upgrade from today (5 Mar 2011) doesn't fix it.

What's interesting is that this doesn't seem to be dependent on kernel version,
even though the asix driver is part of the kernel.

I've also tried another usb adapter...the Monoprice Gigabit one.  It doesn't
log any errors, but you can't transfer packets outside the machine or into the
machine from that interface.  However, in VirtualBox, you can ping the VM from
that interface and vice-versa (the host machine and the VM both have two
interfaces).  This behavior doesn't makes sense to me...it's like the physical
layer doesn't work for that interface bug Linux understands how to short
circuit packets that stay on the same machine? :-P

.