Hello,

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, SZÉKELYI Szabolcs wrote:

> As far as I understand, /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d is a directory to
> configure intramfs-tools without touching the main configuration file
> initramfs-tools.conf. But there's some inconsistency here: it looks to
> me that only the settings from initramfs.conf are visible to hook
> scripts, whereas those from conf.d/* are not.

This is a misunderstanding.
mkinitramfs shouldn't be affeced by /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d settings.
This dir is for stuff that may help on boot. It really lands into the
initramfs itself.

> It would be nice, for example, to check the BOOT setting from hook
> scripts and skip growing the initramfs uselessly if the selected boot
> method does not require some features. But currently this is not
> possible if a value is assigned to BOOT via a file in conf.d.

stupid naming of aboves dir agreed,
but what you are trying to do is deprecated.
a packaged mkinitramfs script may change values in
 /usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf-hooks.d/

kind regards

--
maks