On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 14:13 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 01:39:20PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Since Linux 3.x is a continuation of the 2.6.x series and not a major
> > change, there was no need to create a new source package for it.
> > However, we should now rename the source package to 'linux'.
> >
> > Currently, most of our bugs are assigned to 'linux-2.6' or
> > 'src:linux-2.6' so that version-tracking works across binary package
> > name changes.  But if we rename the source package as well, these bugs
> > will presumably be seen to apply only to versions before the name
> > change, or only after.  How can we avoid this?
>
> The good news is that I don't think this should require fundamental
> redesign work in order to work gracefully.  The bad news is that I think
> it is going to require some work.
>
> The format used for version records should permit a source package to
> change its name, as long as you preserve the old information in the
> changelog.

Of course we will do that.

> For instance, the version file for linux-2.6 currently starts:
>
>   linux-2.6/3.0.0-3 linux-2.6/3.0.0-2 linux-2.6/3.0.0-1
>
> ... so it could become:
>
>   linux/3.0.0-4 linux-2.6/3.0.0-3 linux-2.6/3.0.0-2 linux-2.6/3.0.0-1
>
> So, I think what you need is for the bugs to be reassigned to linux or
> src:linux, but also keep the old version tracking information which
> indicates that the bug was found in (say) linux-2.6/3.0.0-1.

I already have a script to do reassignment to src:linux-2.6, and I
should be able to automate this fairly easily.

> debbugs
> will know that linux/3.0.0-4 is descended from linux-2.6/3.0.0-1 and so
> things should keep on working.  A normal reassign would discard the
> version tracking information and you'd have to reapply it afterwards,
> which would be tedious and error-prone.  Perhaps we need to implement a
> form of reassign that doesn't discard version tracking information, or
> perhaps we should simply do this by hacking the database in bulk.
>
> We might need some work to make pkgreport.cgi?src=linux&dist=stable work
> gracefully.  What I think ought to happen is that it should take the
> version record for linux and realise that it is descended from a source
> package called linux-2.6 that's still in stable, and look up the
> appropriate version for that; but I don't recall implementing anything
> that clever and I suspect that this does not yet work.
>
> We'll also need to consider what happens for users of stable who'll
> continue to report bugs and expect reportbug to be able to show them
> listings and so forth.

We can change that in a stable update, and reassign the bugs that
continue to use 'linux-2.6', same as we do for bugs submitted without
using reportbug.

> Given the number of bugs involved, perhaps we
> need to teach debbugs that "linux-2.6" should be considered as an alias
> for "linux" for the purposes of queries and of input to submit@ and
> control@.
>
> Ben, do you have any constraints on the timeline for this that we should
> know about?

No rush.

> Don, what do you think about all this?  I think it's tractable, but it
> feels like a pretty solid weekend's work to me.

Thanks,

Ben.